Saturday, 13 April 2013

miniature watercolour painting and step by step

Autumn Quince with Comma Butterfly
© Tracy Hall 2013
3.5" x 2.75" Watercolour on Arches HP
I came across this Quince tree in the Kipling Gardens in Rottingdean, and loved the shapes and colours of the fading leaves. Shortly afterwards we spotted a Comma butterfly sunning itself nearby and I thought they would work well together in this painting. I'm also trying out a different kind of frame for a change, a brass oval, these are very popular at the miniature exhibitions but I haven't used one before.

As I have been doing a bit of 'step by step' work recently I thought I would record the stages of this painting to share here on my blog. (I couldn't get the blogger video thingy to work so I uploaded it to youtube instead). I hope you enjoy it.

The technical stuff if it's of interest - I used Arches HP paper (my usual watercolour board doesn't fit in these frames!), drew it out with a sharp pencil and painted it using a 10/0 brush throughout. I used Winsor and Newton artist watercolours : Burnt Sienna, Quinacridone Gold, French Ultramarine, Transparent Yellow, Prussian Blue, Alizarin Crimson and a tiny touch of titanium white. Here it is:



Comma's aren't a butterfly we get to see in Orkney and I love their scalloped wings. I had to look up why they have that name - apparently it's because of the tiny white marking on the brown underside. This is the only photo I got of the underside, but you can just about make out the tiny 'comma' on the lower wing!



9 comments:

Sadami said...

Dear Tracy,
Thank you for the wonderful work and the precious process that has charmed me so much! Also, your post is lovely. Wow, BTW, did you take the photos and organised the video? I admire you!
Best wishes, Sadami

Dora said...

beautiful!!! thank you for the movie that show how you made this creation!! very nice to watch.
great colouring.
greetings

Feathers said...

Beautiful job! Loved watching the transition from beginning to end. //the brass oval is perfect for this little painting. Thanks for sharing.

Sue Clinker said...

Beautiful painting and I enjoyed the video.

The brass oval frame complements it beautifully

Egretta Wells blog said...

Wow! How wonderful to watch the unfolding of your beautiful artwork..I loved watching the painting take shape and develop. So special. Thanks for the video. The painting is amazing!

Elaine Hyde said...

This is really lovely and I enjoyed the video too. Congratulations

Tracy Hall said...

Thank you so much everyone for the nice comments and I'm really pleased you enjoyed seeing the stages develop. I do find it a bit disruptive to have to remember to keep stopping!

Carol Blackburn said...

Beautiful Tracy and I love when you show a progress video. Thanks so much.

Tristan Alexander said...

As always your work is amazing!

 
Blog Directory - Blogged